You may not know what it’s called, but you’ve surely used it and As soon as you read the explanation right away what Google Discover is.
Google Discover is the personalized news feed based on our Google likes, history and interactions.
Take the Google Chrome application on your mobile, you will see that news from various sectors and of different types appears arbitrarily under the search engine: it is about Google Discover, and in this article we will see why it is key to know it to improve your traffic results.
What is Google Discover?
We can define Google Discover as the social version of Google, since it is still a news feed adapted to your tastes, your browsing history and your interests.
Therefore, as you would be scrolling on the Facebook home page, but on Google.
In fact, under each news you have some buttons that give you the option to adjust the content to your interests. It is easy to do it and, in addition, you can indicate whether you want to see more content of a certain type or less.
With the Google Discover customization option you can manage your interests to tell Google directly what interests youadd order to hide certain topics that are not of interest to you and thus improve the user experience:
What is the Google Discover discovery bar?
Another way to quickly access Google Discover is the “discovery bar”, which appears right in the quick controls window that we all have on our mobile if we have Android and it looks like this:
To turn the discovery bar functionality on and off, just go to Settings > Apps > App info > Discovery bar > Uninstall.
The discovery bar is useful, as users, we find interesting content and provided by Google
Google Discover, Google+ and Google News: I am not the same
Those who understand what Google Discover is, as a tool, know that it is something very powerful at the level of data registered by Google. Thanks to the freedom of configuration given to the user, it is possible to receive news about their interests. It also attaches valuable feedback to search for user engagement with certain news.
However, it is difficult to know how many users are editing their preferences here and narrowing down their interests. Perhaps not as many as might be expected. so agree to see if it will end up being another Google+ and will fall into oblivion. Although we hope that this is not the case and that Google has finally known how to create its own more social version.
This would be expected, since, for users, the added value may be in the fact that while in a traditional social network many happy people they see appear to them because their friends or people they follow have liked them, here 100% of what shown is personalized based on your own tastes, interests and searches.
But the doubt may arise: and then How is Google News different? The difference is that News, as the name suggests, shows you news and trends from the last few hours and, at most, days, but In Google Discover, in addition to content from the last few days, it is possible to see results from older articles.
The reason is that, as we have just explained, what prevails is your interest in terms of a user and if something can be relevant to you. Anyway, if you’ve posted a year ago, Google will show it to you in Google Discover.
We talk about articles because it is the most common content, but it can also appear in Discover videos, match results or event information, such as movies in theaters and music festivals, among others.
Are you beginning to see your potential? Let’s see in detail How you can access Google Discover results with your blog.
Do you like what you are reading? Subscribe to the blog!
How to position yourself in Google Discover?
As always in the Google input, the position depends on an algorithm, and Anyone who understands what Google Discover is can imagine that this application is no exception.
However, what prevails here is the interest of the user. That is why, as content creators, we have to focus on creating quality content. Pieces of text or audiovisual creations that provide answers to the pain and concerns of those who access the search engine.
Not many years ago, it was still more or less easy to position yourself in Google including low-quality content that did keyword stuffing or used other practices now “badly seen” by Google. But now more and morequality content is very important as a positioning criterion.
In the next section we will see How to optimize articles for all the content that appears in the Google Discover feed of your target audience.
How to Optimize Articles for Google Discover Traffic: 10 Strategies
As we have seen, in Google Discover it is not accurate to talk about positioning. To focus on the subject precisely, we should refer to the aptitude with which it is possible to fit into the user’s searches and interests, since everything depends on them.
However, there are some points that it is essential to take into account in order to have more chances of appearing in prominent positions. your story 10 positioning strategies in Google Discover:
- Work very well on SEO and semantic SEO so that Google can relate the contents well and return relevant results for users
- Create interesting and useful trending content, but also Evergreen, updating it when things change. It makes sense, as older results can also appear in Google Discover, if Google thinks they are relevant to the user.
- Be sure to respect the google posting rules, it never hurts to repair them.
- Seek compromise. For this, it is worth check that those posts that guarantee a good performance at the level of engagement are well optimized (low bounce rate, longer time on page, higher comments, etc.).
- Get learning and insights from RR.SS. Just as important as understanding what Google Discover is and how it works is properly reviewing the articles that work best on the networks. The higher the success, the more chances to appear in the user’s personalized feed.
- Compatible with mobile devices. Yes, they are already clear priorities: mobile first; but this still has more weight in this section of Google, which was created with the mobile environment in mind.
- Maintain content in AMP. Did you imagine that the vast majority of the content displayed in this section is AMP?
- Images. Unlike the generic positioning in Google, we have to think of Google Discover as a social media, so much, images have a fundamental role to make one marine content more attractive than another. Following Google’s guidelines, stick to images with a large size of 1200px to increase the chance of appearing in the Google Discover feed by 5%.
- meet your buyer personality and create relevant articles for your audience. Doing so ensures that you are likely to be more likely to show up here.
- Quality, quality, quality. We have already said: quality! As a last piece of advice, since repeat iuvantnever lose sight of the quality of your content and try to respond to the user’s search intention.
You go to the InboundCycle marketing blog, you will see that some points of positioning in Google Discover coincide with a good content strategy and SEO. In the end… it’s all within Google!
How to analyze Google Discover results?
Tracking and analyzing the traffic data that reaches your website allows you to refine your strategy and gain alignment with your marketing goals. Paraca analyze the traffic that comes from Google Discover, you can use Google search console. In this application you will see:
- How much traffic you’ve gotten from Google Discover.
- How many times is your site appearing in Google Discover?
- How your pages are performing is compared to traditional traffic performance (SEO).
- What content is open to Google Discover.
- What content is trending, what users like, what content your followers choose on networks and what characteristics your buyers have… In short, you will be able to access interesting insights.
Ten note that, yes you don’t see the Google Discover report, your site is not showing. As explained by Google, the Discover rendering method is only available to those sites that have exceeded a certain number of impressions (without specific agreements) in the last 16 months.
Also keep in mind that the one coming from Google Discover is not as stable as the SEO, since it usually celebrates an aspect of traffic peaks that are limited to 48-72 hours, although it can be repeated over time for a contained mystique.
So don’t keep yourself from missing the fact of seeing a google discover chart with large variations (In this aspect it is where it is most similar to Social Media traffic, in which it is more common to see peaks depending on the content that we have published).
Here you can see the type of appearance of a Google Discover chart:
We have seen that Google Discover may not be a channel that can be worked on as thoroughly and with as many strategies as, for example, SEO. Nevertheless, With this tool, Google demonstrates once again to what extent the content qualitythat is truly relevant to the user and that can respond to their pain, even long after publication.
Are you already clear about what Google Discover is and how to work with it to increase conversion? Leave me your doubts in the comments section!
Originally published on September 1, 2020, updated on April 13, 2022.
Reviewed and validated by susana meijomilInbound Content Manager and InboundCycle.
The creative writing is a resource increasingly used in the world of marketing and, more precisely, in the content marketing. The growth of the latter has led to an increase in content generated by brands on their blogs. However, in order to stand out from so much information and captivate readers with writing, it is very important to consider the type of writing that is going to be used, creative writing being one of the types that will give you the best results.
In this article you will learn what creative writing is, what are its characteristics and how we can apply it to a content marketing strategy. In addition, you can get started in this technique thanks to the advice we give you at the end of the article. Will you accompany me to learn more about writing and creativity?
what is creative writing
The increased competition on all communication channels means that new ways to manage them emerge every day and it is more difficult to stand out and get the message across. That’s why you need to look for new ways to communicate, both on your blog content and on your advertising and communications in general. A very interesting tool that will help us is creative writing.
This type of writing was born with a very clear objective: to be able to tell beautiful stories that move away from what was considered the traditional writing scheme. To achieve this, these texts have been filled with imagination, feeling, expressiveness and, how could it be otherwise, creativity. With all this, it is possible to present complex ideas in an entertaining way and, for this reason, many companies and publishers apply this literary technique in content marketing.
There are several elements that make a text considered creative writing. It is these elements that succeed in hooking the reader and keeping his attention focused on the reading until the end of the text. But what elements are we talking about?
- Stories whose protagonists are constructed in such a way that the reader feels identified with them. In other words: a protagonist is created for the narrative (it works for both fiction and reality) who resembles the target audience as closely as possible.
- Use of aesthetic and neat language to present ideas throughout the text.
- Original texts whatever the type of story to be told.
- Using storytelling to emotionally connect with users and awaken those feelings and emotions in them.
Do you like what you read? Subscribe to the blog !
types of creative writing
Once we have seen what this type of literary structure is and what elements distinguish it, we must see how we can use it. Some of the most common examples that we are most used to are:
And it is that creative writing allows you to connect with the reader and deliver quality content that is engaging and digestible.
Creative writing in content marketing
As we’ve seen before, content marketing and creative writing can go hand in hand to get better results and stand out from the crowd. And, believe it or not, there are several commonalities between the two techniques:
- First, both seek to foster user emotions through writing and well-structured messages.
- Second, they draw on other literary genres, such as poetry or essays, to enrich their texts in terms of depth and creation of emotions.
- Finally, we can also see how both texts can be used for entertainment or educational/informational purposes.
Also, as we have commented many times throughout this post, the goal of content marketing is to stand out from the competition and provide added value, while communicating in the most human way. possible. Three points on which creative writing can greatly contribute.
Examples of content in which you can find creative writing
There are several types of content that can benefit from the advantages that literary creativity brings, but we want to highlight three:
- narration: An example of content marketing is storytelling. This strategy manages to hold the user’s attention more while managing to convey a message in a natural way. Get it all through a story with a common thread that users can follow. Within storytelling, there are several formats: videos, brand stories or stories that tell the origin of brands.
- Enumerations or classifications: it is a resource that allows you to structure the content well and clearly, with a powerful title. Example:
- Success stories, testimonials: For example, SquareSpace, which tells in detail about the use of its services and all the profits that have been obtained through it, used a form of creative writing. With it, it manages to convey a brand message that helps create content marketing. Another example would be DIY Inbound testimonials.
How to Incorporate Creative Writing into Your Content Marketing Strategy
Once we have seen the importance of integrating corporate writing into your marketing strategy, we will see how you can integrate it. To achieve this, you need to follow these six steps:
- Set goals: you must first define what you want to achieve with the content you create and how it can help your marketing strategy. It will depend on the target you have, the message you want to convey and also through which channel you are going to communicate it.
- Create a style guide: once you have clear objectives, you can define a graphic charter specific to your brand. This will allow all content created to be on the same tone and have cohesion.
- choose an idea: to start preparing your first creative writings, you will have to identify the idea and the concept that you want to convey, that is to say, what you are going to write about. Here it is necessary to make a preliminary investigation of what information your buyer may be interested in and how you can use it. A good example of this research would be to do a keyword search.
- Let’s write, it’s time to write! Once you have the subject matter, write using different writing techniques, which combine quality content with a creative way to convey it. Here are some examples you can use: telling stories, making enumerations and lists, using success stories or interviews, metaphors and similes, etc. You can find other ways to apply creative writing in the “Types of creative writing” section of the article.
- Apply the final touches: before publishing, we touch on a final revision, ensuring that there is quality content as well as an interesting text that captivates the reader.
- Results measurement: and, finally, you can review the results to assess which content performed best and what improvements you can apply to your next posts.
Tips for developing creativity in writing and creating content
By following these tips, you can incorporate creativity into your texts, but let’s be honest: it can sometimes be difficult to innovate and be original.
And it is that creativity is an activity that requires training the brain, as if it were one more muscle in your body. The more you put it to work, the better it will perform. Practice is the key! However, some practices can help you improve your creativity:
- To be curious: The more information and references you have, the easier it will be for you to find inspiration. Reading a lot will help you see different ways to write creatively.
- practice brainstorming: It’s not the quality that counts, but the quantity in the early stages. You never know how far a simple idea can take you, so we recommend that you practice brainstorming often, always trying to find more ideas, even if you then choose the best ones.
- lateral thinking work: It involves breaking with patterns by trying to find new and creative solutions to problems. This in creative writing can result in an unexpected comparison, the linking of two concepts that at first glance do not have it, etc.
With all of this information, you will have already seen the importance of creative writing and the world of possibilities it can open up for your brand. Remember that this is a very good way to stand out from all digital content, since it combines quality content with an emotional and captivating factor that will help keep your buyer persona interested. .
You just need to practice and work your brain to be more creative. Do you dare to put creativity into practice within your content strategy?
Originally published and updated April 12, 2022.
Reviewed and validated by Susana Meijomilinbound content manager at InboundCycle.