When you talk about SEO and search engines, inevitably our mind thinks of Google. This is irremediable, because the king of search engines occupies almost the entire market. However, he is not the only one. Have you thought that positioning in Bing could also be a very good option to give visibility to your website?
In this article we show you what are the characteristics and advantages that positioning in Bing can offer you compared to other search engines, as well as some keys to obtaining a good web positioning in the search engine.
What do we mean when we talk about positioning in Bing?
Bing is currently Microsoft’s search engine. In 2009, moreover, thanks to an alliance between the technology company and Yahoo!, by optimizing the referencing in the Bing search engine, you will also do it for Yahoo!
Like other search engines, Bing provides answers to user questions in the form of organic results, ads, news, images, and videos.
What type of search engine is Bing?
Bing is a hierarchical search engine, that is, it works through so-called crawlers or spiders, which analyze existing sites on the internet, then add them to their index and classify them by theme according to their relevance.
This type of operation is the most common in search engines. In fact, Google and Yahoo! they work the same way, although each has its quirks.
The main features of Bing
Now that you have familiarized yourself with this search engine, it is important that you also know the characteristics and peculiarities that differentiate it from the rest of the existing search engines:
- A well-positioned search engine: according to data from Statista, Bing ranks second in the world and Spanish ranking of search engines with a market share of less than 3%only behind Google.
- attractive design: Bing has a very user-friendly interface. On the one hand, its cover image changes every day, offering users very striking photographs of animals, nature or landscapes. Also, when you hover the cursor over it, you can get interesting information and data about said image. On the other hand, the platform is very intuitive, because it is very well structured and its searches are very visual compared to its competitors. However, it may slow down your charging time.
- One-click Microsoft Office: From the main page of Bing, you will have direct access to all the services of the Microsoft Office package, such as Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Word, among others, which can significantly speed up your activities and projects.
- a secure browser: Bing also offers many security options that you can adapt to your needs. For example, if there are minors in the house, you can choose the safe and strict search option so that adult content does not appear in the results.
- Search options: When you make a query, Bing allows you to apply different filters, such as language or date, among others. Concretely, when searching for videos, you can select their duration, their resolution or their date of publication.
- Ability to generate collections: Bing offers you the possibility to save the results that interested you the most and to access them in a simple way via the section “My saved items”.
- Great importance for social networks: Although the positioning in Bing is very similar to that of Google, one of its main differences is that it takes into account social networks for the organic positioning of websites. Thus, when content is shared a lot on the networks, it increases its chances of reaching a good position in Bing.
What are the benefits of using Bing?
As we have already seen, Bing is the second most used search engine in the world. Therefore, it is a search engine that can provide you with a significant amount of traffic. In addition to this aspect, positioning in Bing also has another series of advantages that may interest you:
- Web positioning in Yahoo!: thanks to the alliance between Microsoft and Yahoo, by improving your position in Bing, you will also do so in Yahoo!, in order to be more visible in what is the fourth largest search engine in the world.
- less competition: not being as big as Google, in Bing you can find great opportunities for your business in your sector.
- Permissive with over-optimization: Bing is not as strict as Google with over-optimized websites. Therefore, if your content is good, you can get very good web positioning.
- A great tool for the US market: The United States is the country where this search engine is the most used, exceeding 30% of market share. If your business is focused on the audience of this territory, positioning in Bing will help you gain visibility.
- Cheaper ads: Thanks to less competition compared to Google, advertising on Bing is cheaper, which can be very useful for small businesses or brands that are just getting started.
5 tips for positioning yourself in Bing
Like any search engine, Bing pays attention to a series of specific elements to position websites. In some respects it may coincide with other search engines, but in others it does not, thus exhibiting its peculiarities.
Here are 5 tips that can help you climb positions in this search engine.
Pay attention to keywords (KW)
Bing considers exact word matching when delivering search results. Therefore, it will try to offer websites whose titles are as similar as possible to the phrase that the user entered into the search engine. This is in stark contrast to Google’s methodology, which is more about context than delivering exact results.
Therefore, when implementing your ranking on Bing, it will be very important to use the exact KW match to get the best results.
take care of your content
Whichever search engine you want to rank for, they all value content above all else. Good content is what will make people more interested in your page and visit it more, which will make you move up positions. However, positioning in Bing has some peculiarities, such as, for example, giving more value to updated content. It means that, Pages that regularly add new content or update existing content will benefit from Bing.
Improves user experience
Offering the public a responsive website that offers a good user experience will be one of the keys to positioning, as it will encourage more people to click on your website.. Things like reducing your page load times or creating engaging meta descriptions are ways to increase CTR (number of clicks) organically.
Give authority to your website
Bing prefers to place websites it considers “authoritative” in the top positions. According to the search engine, for a website to be considered as such, it must have many backlinks..
Backlinks are links located on a webpage that point to another website. If someone links to your website on their page, you will have a backlink. And if you are the one creating the link on your website, that website will have a backlink from you.
If your website is new, it will be more difficult for you to receive backlinks from other pages, but it is not impossible. Creating useful and contrasting content will help you a lot in reaching them.
Share your content on the networks
As we have already mentioned, to improve your positioning in Bing, what is shared on social networks will be highly valued, because, as he understands, it is a sign that this content is popular among users. Therefore, sharing your content on networks such as Facebook, Instagram or Twitter will improve your web positioning in the search engine.
Free tools to improve SEO positioning in Bing
Following the tips above will go a long way in improving your rankings on Bing. But, in addition, there are several free tools that will further increase your chances of positioning on the web. Here we leave you the 5 that we consider the most useful:
- WordPress plugin to submit URL: This tool will cause your WordPress website URL to be automatically submitted to the Bing search index. If you start your positioning in this search engine, it will be of great help to you.
- Mobile compatibility test: Almost all search engines (including Bing) take into account the adaptability of a website to mobile devices, positioning it according to this as well. For this reason, Bing provides you with a tool with which you can analyze whether your website meets this requirement. This way you will know if you need to optimize your page for this or if it is ready.
- KW search tool: As we have already seen, KW plays a very important role in all search engines, but especially in Bing positioning, where accuracy is very important. In order for you to find the right keywords, the search engine also offers you a free platform to find relevant terms for your websites and articles.
- Website performance analysis: this tool is very interesting, because you will not only be able to improve your positioning in Bing, but also in other search engines. Thanks to it, you will be able to carry out a sort of audit of your website to see if there are any technical problems and be able to solve them.
- SEO reports: If you want to know if your SEO positioning efforts are paying off, this tool will give you the answer. It will tell you where you need to improve to get a better ranking.