The corporate event has specific objectives such as giving new impetus to the teams. I ask for a certain budget, visible to you and your collaborators who have never forgiven you for spending money in money for an event whose merit has never existed. A few tips to avoid falling into the trap of amateurism.
The two years that we have just lived on set aside the events but made the Leaders aware of their importance. If, at the start, some thought of saving money, the name of them understood their importance in the relationship with customers, suppliers, employees and partners. They were also able to analyze how to better use them and therefore add added value but also remove unnecessary sections and therefore save money.
1 – Bad definition of the objectives of the event
I know the 3 fundamental questions that arise (What? Who? Why?)
- What is the message you want to convey?
- Who do you want to reach with your event?
- Why do you want to organize an event?
The answers to the questions allow you to create a brief that will serve as the basis for the preparation
of the event but also to the teams around you.
2 – Wrong choice of place, time and date
The choice of date, time and place is one of the keys to success.
- What costume and what means of transport will your guests carry? The difficulty of access puts off the participants and you will have many withdrawals if they force them to walk, to take multiple transports…
- The date: laughs more difficult for the choice of the car it is a real slalom to take into account all the parameters: school holidays, days before public holidays, different religious holidays, trade shows…
- The time: the obligations of the participants must be taken into account: if it is an internal public, it will be necessary to take into account the familiar obligations whereas if it is a question of an external public, it will be necessary to take Account of their possibility to come to your appointment. In this case, your effective communication is there to attract them.
3 – Bad choice of program and content
What message do you want to bring to the participants? Comment the presenter? A successful event must be dynamic: highlights, moments of discussion, spectacle, emotion, etc. The image, the atmosphere, the service: everything must be, I thought of every detail, the speakers…
4 – Neglecting preparation and organization
The corporate event requires meticulous preparation and organization. Don’t do it at the last minute. Preparation times vary depending on the length of the event. Otherwise, it may be doomed to failure and worse still discredit you.
5 – Underestimating the importance of details
Check the detail of the account, regardless of its size. Whether it is the duration of the location of the room, the sound system, the various benefits and services included, the choice of caterer, they are all of paramount importance. This is why establishing a Check List from the start with a backward planning avoids the pitfalls such as the fact that you cannot find the place or the date that suits you and that you are obliged to take a place or a date that will not suit your needs.
If you don’t want your event to turn into conflicts with your collaborators, you can sometimes consider logistics as a crucial element and invitations for example. The ideal for sending invitations is to do so at least three weeks before the event. The form of the invitation (mail, cardboard, sms, …) is made according to the person visited.
Decoration, caterer, photographer, signage, parking, hostesses, badges, presentation materials… Everything must be combed through.
Above all, don’t plan too tightly, you always have to keep a margin of safety because managing an event means dealing with a number of unforeseen events.
6 – Accurately verify the names of the participants
The name of the guests rents the event details table. To determine the name, it will be possible to establish a precise list with the people subject to cancellation and the cells that you will find at the last moment. You must therefore provide a certain margin in order to avoid having planned too large or too small.
7 – Neglecting communication before, during and after your event
- Before, you have to communicate about the event to your targets: invitation flyer, newsletters and social networks, press…
- During, interact with your community to develop your visibility: Live tweet, Instagram Story and Facebook Live are excellent ways. Take care of the # to use on all your media.
- After an event, we were able to market the participants via an email or a newsletter, mention the evening on your social contacts using the dedicated hashtag and the people you met on LinkedIn for example.